Friday, June 22, 2012

Friday Quotations: What's the Opposite of an Insomniac?

"I have often wondered why there are tyrants, and I have come to the conclusion it is because some men remember their dreams.  For what do we know of dreams?  What is the truest thing to be said of them?  Surely it is that we forget them.  And therefore it is also sure that this forgetting must have a purpose.  Hungers are conceived in dreams in order to be forgotten, so that the dreamer and his life may go on without them.  That is why most men remember nothing--except the sensation of having dreamed.
"But men who do not forget are doomed."

--Stephen Donaldson, "The King of Tarshish Shall Bring Gifts."

I love Stephen Donaldson's writing.  Some day, when I have a lot of time, and a great deal more patience than usual, I'll read all ten of the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant books.

Later Days.

No comments: