Monday, August 31, 2009

Breaking News: Disney Buys Marvel

This will be a quick post: according to venerable news sources, Disney has just announced it's bought Marvel Comics for around $4 billion. As a dedicated comic reader, a lot of issues jumped to my mind: with DC owned by Warner Bros, this means that both of the two major comic publishers receive their marching orders from larger multimedia figures. Will Disney be insisting on some creative changes to bring Marvel characters more in line its other set? Will this deal have an effect on the rise in comic book prices? Will this have an actual, measurable change on the quality of the comics themselves, in the long or short term?

Well, to be honest, these questions were not the first thing to come to my mind. The first question was:
How long do I have to wait before I can go to Disneyworld and get my picture taken with Donald Duck and Wolverine at the same time?

Later Days.

No comments: