Thursday, February 16, 2012

Thoughts Not Fully Formed

I thought I'd go for a run this morning, but I slipped three times going down the driveway, and thought that it was a bad idea. Icy sidewalks are the worst.

I don't understand cauliflower. I don't mean I don't like it--I mean I can't comprehend what possible culinary use it could serve, what flavors it could complement. At least broccoli has some color to it.

Every time I do a full cleaning of my room, my allergies immediately get much worse. It's like my lungs are mocking me in my attempts to live a more dust-free environment.

The nightstand that props up the lamp in my room is actually a pile of my largest, thickest books. I go back and forth between thinking that this is very stupid and that it's kind of cool.

I'm pretty sure that I don't know how to use an iron. That there is some basic principle in the process that I am not comprehending and that lack is dragging down the whole operation.

I know people who can't seem to go any length of time without a significant other or without being in a group of friends. And it always seemed a little sad to me, like they don't know who they are unless there's someone around to reaffirm it.

And at the same time, I know my own preferences in that regard make the statement a little hypocritical: I feel smothered if I don't get regular doses of alone time, but I'm always terrified that my friends are waiting patiently until I leave to really get a party started. (Actually, that's rather different problem than needing to be around people, isn't it?)

In the same sort of "I'm cheap" vein as the nightstand, my full length mirror was one I found by the side of the road at midnight, then carried over 3k to get it home. ...But this one, I just think is cool.

For most of the winter months, I go everywhere wearing two pairs of socks. I don't know if this is because my shoes are poorly insulated, or because my nervous system is a bizarre system cobbled together by monkeys, but it seems to do the trick.

I like My Little Pony. And Gossip Girl. And well done romantic comedies. And cocktails with strange drinks and stranger names. And it really annoys me to be mocked (all right, gently mocked) as "unmanly" for it by colleagues, because what the hell's the point of being able to deconstruct gender normativity in papers if you're unwilling to apply it in your everyday life?

And yes, I do realize that there's some intellectual elitism in the above statement, of the "humanities scholars should know better" variety. Fine. I think *everyone* should loosen up in terms of gender identity, okay? And maybe then I could drink my screaming orgasm in peace. ...Don't give me that look.

I'm worried this combo of "insightful thoughts/fluffy nonsense" isn't going well. Time to end this.

Later Days.

No comments: