Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Catch-up, sleepy edition

First class of the semester today.  I think I've got everything I want in place. The syllabus, minus a few of the later readings, is in place, and the lesson plan is prepared. The big issue is that it's going to be a 3 hour, once a week course; I've never taught one of those before, and I'm not sure how the pacing works yet. Still, you have to remember that the students are more afraid of you than you are of them.  Or am I thinking wolves?

A review I wrote on the book Dungeons, Dragons and Digital Denizens is up at First Person Scholar. It nearly killed me, largely because I hadn't suspected I needed to write up until a week beforehand. We originally had someone else lined up to do the review, but they fell through. To be honest, I'm starting to find the backing out rather annoying. If I can write a quality review in a week's time (and I stand by the quality of this review), then someone who's had at least a month lead-in time really shouldn't have any problem. I understand that life springs unexpected events on us, but my sympathy is wearing a bit thin. Still, I really did like the book. It's probably the best collection of essays I've seen on Bioware games especially to date.

Expect more here when I've gotten a bit of sleep. I've spent most of the last few days going through syllabi drafts and speed reading through 300+ pages of essays, and my nap time has been sorely affected.

Later Days.

No comments: