Thursday, August 15, 2013

Movie Buff: The Sapphires

This review will be a lot shorter than Take This Waltz; I didn't have nearly as strong a reaction to it. Essentially, the movie is about a group of Australian Aborigines who get a manager (played by Chris O'Dowd) and book a gig singing for American troops in Vietnam. Given the way the movie starts to unfold, I mistakenly got the impression that it was going to be a gender bender version of Cool Runnings, switching Jamacian bob sledders with Aborigine singers, with Chris O'Dowd playing John Candy. Yes, I thought, I'd watch that. And I got irrationally annoyed when it turned out to be more of a romantic comedy with some commentary on race and war. The women are great singers and as good as actors as the script needs them to be; Chris O'Dowd is Chris O'Dowd. That is all one really needs to know.

Later Days.

No comments: