Saturday, June 20, 2009

4 shorts. Well, shorter.

I'm taking a bit of a break from the Sask Trip Chronicles; today was so action-packed it needs to be discussed in the here and now (Here's a taste though: Next up is the Retirement Dinner, then it's the Hitchhiker story). I'm going to try four different posts than the usual super long one; if my oft-silent audience prefers one type over the other, let me know.

First: U of Blank had its English Colloquium over the past two days, and today was my day to present. I play the old hand at this, but to be honest, it's only my third real conference. My particular presentation was on the good ol' Chevalier d'Eon, who, as a blog search will tell you, has shown up once or twice before. (Some day, I'll have to do a full post on the fellow/femme.) I know this sounds arrogant, but I've never had any doubts about my presentation abilities, so I was expecting it to go well. And it did. The paper wasn't greatly attended, but those who were there seemed to enjoy it--and it passed muster with the eighteenth-century professors in the room, which I guess is the real test. An extra line on the cv is always nice, but what I really appreciated about the colloquium was the chance to hear what other graduate students (and professors) are working on. It's a reality of our profession that we often need to keep such work close to the chest, both for modesty and career purposes, so it's really great to hear people I respect get a
chance to show off their stuff.

Plus I got to trot out the suit. Gotta love the suit.

Later Days.

No comments: