Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Back: Sask Trip Part 1

I don't want to be overdramatic about this, but I talked to a few of my readers (the majority of which skew to an older demographic than I anticipated; thanks for telling all your friends, parents), and they were encouraging, and I think the blog itself has been a mostly positive presence for me, so here we are.

I'm going to keep it simple for a little while. A lot happened on my trip out west, and I'm going to rehash it, at great length.

My plane left on Wednesday, June 3rd, right after my art and persuasion course was over. Right right after; I actually asked two of the presenters if they would talk really quickly to hurry things along. (In my defense, I mostly didn't mean it.) There were three significant aspects to the plane ride:

1. The book. The Blank airport has a lovely feature: a book lending cart, asking anyone who's willing to drop off a book, or make a small donation and take one. Mostly, the books were all of the bodice-ripping Harlequin romance types, but I managed to snag a copy of Nathaniel West's "The Dream Life of Balso Snell." I read this book in the second year of my undergraduate, and remember absolutely nothing about it, except that it was a very trippy read. So far, I've read the first four pages, in which Snell enters a Trojan Horse through its anus (it's very explicit on this point) and immediately meets a tour guide. So I'm glad my memory of it holds up.

2. The companions. My flight was leaving with a group of sixteen ten year olds who were part of a series of exchange visits between Blank and Somewhere Else--and only those two locations. Frankly, this is a long way from the jackpot of field trips. So I spent my entire 5 hour flight--and 3 hour layover--in the company of very excited and excitable 10 year olds. That was fun.

3. The layover. Since Blank is a little ways away from a delta hub, it has one flight out west per day, and that goes to Calgary. And from Calgary, I transfer to Someplace Else. Now, that means I've spent a lot of time in the Calgary airport. The one good thing about the Calgary airport is that it's the only airport in this country in which you are guaranteed to find SOMEONE in a cowboy hat. And that is worth a lot.

My plane arrived at 11:00 pm or so. And the rest will wait for another time.

Later Days.

No comments: