Saturday, June 13, 2009

I truly believe Beavis and Butthead ruined the phrase "corning" forever: Sask Trip Part 3

Ughhhhhhh. I'm very glad I got a little ahead for my classes while on the trip, because it seems I'm going to spend the lion's share of this weekend indoors fighting off a monstrous cold that I believe I picked up from certain family members during my trip back. I take small condolence in knowing that I spent most of my infectious days at a university and in airports, so at least I've spread it as far as possible.

Anyway, after the clothes shopping was done, the next phase was finding the right wedding gift. I was, frankly, dreading this part. Searching the store from top to bottom, interacting with salespeople, trying to figure out how to wrap the inevitable abnormal shape, using the user-less-than-friendly registry--all activities that are less than fun.

It was also only the second time I've ever used a registry. This particular couple had registered with Sears, which made it a bit easier than the first time, in which the registry was split between a Home Hardware and Home Depot. (And until I typed those out just now, I honestly never thought of the connection between them.) I understand the concept of the registry. It prevents people from struggling with what to buy, saves relatives who may not actually know the couple very well from... uh, getting to know the couple very well, and saves the bride and groom from receiving 50 million or so toasters. But it still feels... impersonal. I suppose there's nothing preventing me from getting them something else, or something else in addition to the registry gift. In fact, that's exactly what I did for the last couple: in addition to some fairly cheap saw or something, I included a copy of "My Best Friend's Wedding," just because:
a) I thought the bride would like it.
b) It's the best wedding movie.
c) It's the best movie period. (No, it is. Don't argue with me on this.)

But I didn't do that this time around, largely because once you count the plane ticket, my presence was all ready enough of an expensive gift. (Don't get me wrong, I wanted to go and I'm glad I went. But man, I've NEVER spent that much money on anything that didn't provide me shelter or an education.) So my brother and I searched for a 5-piece corning ware set instead. And it went very, very easy. We found kitchenware, a salesperson came up to us and identified the right set, the box was simple to wrap, and she took care of updating the registry. Admittedly, my parents took care of providing the card and wrapping paper, (thanks for that) but all in all, it was two consecutive painless shopping events.

Imagine that.

Next time: buying the book.

Later Days.

No comments: